Quotation

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page. - St. Augustine

24 February 2012

Voy a Cocle!

Hello!
My new site is to be Santa Rita de Anton, in the province of Cocle!
I'm close to the border between Panama Oeste and Cocle, theoretically under an hour (by motor vehicle) to the beach.  Actually, the beaches I'm near are supposed to be some of the best beaches in Panama. Woohoo!
I am supposed to have electricity and water (though how often the water goes out, I don't know), and am fairly close to a handful of other volunteers both in my group and older groups.
More information after NEXT WEEK when we actually go on our week-long site visits!  This week, aka, the end of this week and the beginning of next week, is "Tech Week" working with teachers here in La Chorrera (theoretically- we don't have to come in tomorrow, and next week is the first week of school, so the teachers will be mostly reviewing and assessing their students.  On Wednesday, we go to a couple days of "Community Entry Conference", and then we spread to our sites! Then a couple more days in our familiar Santa Rita, a little less than a week living in Ciudad del Saber, Swearing In, and then we're off!

And a few more pictures:
Panama is pretty~  this is a snapshot from my bus trip out to Chiriqui all those weeks ago.  In almost all of Panama that I've seen, you can at least see a little bit of mountain silhouette in the distance :-)

 And this is a bit of the Pacific- the uncannily warm Pacific, near the community I visited (Las Lajas, Chiriqui)

















And finally, a sunset sunburst I saw when walking home in Santa Rita from a friend's house.













More pictures will have to wait, because they keep not loading.  Fie on them!

2 comments:

  1. How awesome!!!!!! I'm so glad to hear this news. Thrilled, actually. I'm so glad that you seem to have drawn one of the longer, as opposed to contrastively shorter, sticks. Keep up the good luck and good work!!!

    (On a totally[?] superficial note, I love your hair in its current stage!!)

    How is your brain feeling on Spanish?

    Sending you lots of love from Cincy,

    Becca

    ReplyDelete