Quotation

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page. - St. Augustine

08 January 2012

A New Adventure

Every trip starts with a plan.  Mostly, anyhow.  I am not planning my trip, as that is Peace Corps' lot.  I am getting set to spend the vast majority of the next 27 months in the lovely Central American country known as Panama, where I will be teaching English.  The country itself is conveniently situated around the Panama Canal, or at the very southern tip of the North American continent, if you prefer.

Since I'm not really planning this trip (beyond planning to embark upon it), I'll continue to the next step, which is packing.  Packing has been a lovely multi-layered riddle, as it requires me to decide what of my possessions would be most advantageous and/or necessary and/or desirable to have with me for 2 years and 3 months, and how to pack them into 2 checked bags, a carry-on, and my "personal item."  My primary luggage consists of a backpacking pack which has already wandered Europe (though not on my back), a wheeled duffle which was purchased for this adventure.

On Tuesday, January 10, 2012, I board an airplane to Miami. FL, where I will officially become a Peace Corps Trainee.  (I'll be a full-fledged Volunteer March 15, barring unforeseen circumstances.)  On Wednesday, January 11, at 12:05 PM, I'll board another flight, this one to Panama City.  Tuesday marks the beginning of a long line of firsts for me- first time in Florida (though I'll be spending the time in the airport and an airport hotel, but I'm counting it anyway), and my first one-way ticket on that day alone.  Wednesday, my first time in a country south of the United States.  Thursday, I won't try to predict.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes. You are the present moment's and the wilde scent of adventure is yours. I am so glad for your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nicely written! Thank you for sharing your adventure with us through your blog. I hope you're able to upload some photos to your posts as well. :-) Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete